Many of you might be struggling with a faucet that is leaking continuously and making you wonder how to fix a leaky faucet. There are a few annoying things are linked to the leaky faucet. First of all, it results in wastage of water which ultimately leads to increased bills. Secondly, it will result in water damage and lastly, the most annoying thing is the continuous sound it makes. It could be more troublesome if you are unable to find a plumber to fix this issue. But do not worry, as we are going to get it fixed without letting you seek the help of a plumber. Moreover, you will need just a few equipment and other stuff to fix it.
But, before we proceed further in the process of how to fix a leaky faucet, we should know the cause behind it. So, without further ado, let us learn causes so that we can fix it urgently.
Reasons behind a leaky faucet
- Mineral buildup- this is the biggest reason behind a leaky faucet. Sometimes, the minerals present in the water keep building up in the inner parts of the faucet. This ultimately leads to blockage and seal of the water inlets. If this is the problem, then you may fix it by clearing out the build-up so that it starts to work again.
- Corrosion in the inner parts of the faucet- if corrosion takes place inside the faucet body, then it could be a cause behind the leaky faucet. This leads to blockage of washers as well as the stem of the faucet. This, in turn, leads to the stoppage of the water outlet and you ultimately need to replace the faucet altogether. Sometimes, people opt for the repair but it doesn’t work and also is not cost-effective.
- Worn O-rings- other than the two reasons, this is also the reason behind the leak around the base. This is seen under the spout assembly and can take place with any kind of faucet.
Things and equipment to fix a leaky faucet
- An adjustable wrench
- A few channel-lock pliers and Allen wrenches
- Screwdrivers of different types
- Spray penetrating oil might be required
- White vinegar to clear off the buildup
- Scouring pad to remove the dust etc
- Washers and seals for replacement
- Replacement faucet cartridge is also necessary
Procedure to fix a leaky faucet
In this section of the document, we are going to learn how to fix a leaky faucet, you should read it carefully before implementing the process:
Step 1- Stop the water supply
This means you have to shut down the valve from where the water in the faucet comes. If you do not shut it off, then you will face trouble while you start to disassemble the faucet. To do this, you need to look where the valves are present, and then you need to rotate it in the clockwise direction. If you cannot find these valves, you should restrict the main water supply until you fix the problem. Make some water arrangements that you will need while the work goes on. After this, cover the drain with a piece of cloth and then move to the next page.
Step 2- Disassemble the handles of the faucet
You may use a flathead screwdriver or another screwdriver for disassembling the handles of the faucet. You must take out the screws and then pull out the handles. In case they are jammed because of corrosion, then you may use a spray oil. Keep the things that you disassemble in a safe place as you will need them later.
Step 3- Take out the valve stem
When you remove the handle, you will see the cartridge or valve stem that you have to take out as well. But, the process to remove it vary based on the type of the faucet.
Step 4- Look for the fault
Now, carefully inspect the faulty part in the faucet and make sure you do not leave any corner unsuspected. Look for mineral buildup and other faults. Find it and try the relevant fix.
Step 5- Complete the necessary replacement
Replace the faulty stuff using the things mentioned in the previous sections. Also, clean the valves with the scrub pad.
Once you are done, reassemble everything in its original position. By now, you must have learned how to fix a leaky faucet. If you are unable to do so, then the final thing you can do is call the plumber.